Educational Leadership: Building Administrator
NNU's Education Specialist degree in Educational Leadership: Building Administrator advances the academic preparation and teaching skills of experienced classroom teachers and instructional leaders. This online degree is designed for educational professionals who have a master’s degree and are seeking a leadership role as a building administrator. Program emphasis is on the administrator as an instructional leader as well as a servant leader. Coursework emphasis is on ethical decision-making, creative problem-solving and professional growth.
Completion of this program leads to an Education Specialist degree with an endorsement on an Idaho Administrator Certificate as a School Principal. Individuals should check for specific requirements for certification in other states.
Designed to fit the schedule of a working professional, NNU’s Ed.S. in Educational Leadership allows the educator to complete the degree while teaching full-time. The online program utilizes set courses that allow students to plan their schedules ahead of time. With transfer credits, students may complete the 32-credit program in as little as 16 months, including the nine-month internship.
Each student completes a nine-month (2 semester) administrative internship in a school setting under the supervision of a qualified building principal. The internship assignment may be completed primarily in the building the student is teaching and must be approved by the school district and the NNU program director.
The accessible professors and staff allow for support throughout the program. The professors teaching in this program are educational leaders themselves and provide the knowledge needed to succeed as a building administrator.
The following requirements must be received by Admissions a minimum of one week before classes start and are online, mailed or emailed as indicated. Recommendation forms and essay guidelines are available online within the application portal.
Northwest Nazarene University
Attention Graduate Admissions
623 University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
- Online: Application and $50 non-refundable application fee
- Mail or email from a digital service such as Parchment or the National Student Clearinghouse: Official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution(s) where the applicant received a master's degree
- Email or mail: A copy of the applicant's teaching certificate
- Online: Two online recommendation forms completed by professional colleagues
- Online: One Educational Leadership Evaluation form from the applicant's current building administrator; the two recommendations and one leadership evaluation must be completed by three different individuals
- Online: Evidence of writing competency, preferably from a research paper or other document completed during master's courses
Candidates must have the following:
- A master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the master's program
- Certification/Licensure as a classroom teacher, school counselor, school psychologist or building administrator based on a recommendation from a state-approved higher education preparation program
- Four (4) years of full-time certificated/licensed experience working with students while under contract in an accredited school setting before Ed.S. degree completion
- Approval by the Graduate Education Admissions Committee
Program Start Dates
Classes begin every 8 weeks, and new students may join throughout the year.
EDUC8000 Orientation: Graduate Education (0)
EDUC7553 Curriculum, Assessment and Collaboration (3)
EDUC7555 Mixed Methods Research (3)
EDUC7556 Conceptual Statistics and Applications for Educators (3)
EDUC7575 Legal and Financial Issues in Education (3)
EDUC7579 Special Education Law for Administrators (2)
EDUC7581 Instructional Supervision and Leadership (3)
EDUC7584 Data Driven Decision Making (3)
EDUC7585 Administering Human Resources (3)
EDUC7596III Internship/Principalship (6)
EDUC 7596IIIB Building Administrator Internship Portfolio Binder (0-1)
EDUC____ Educational Leadership Elective (3)
Total Credits: A minimum of 32 semester credits are required.
Accreditation & Regulations
Notice Out-of-State Students
Since this is a program that leads to professional licensure, prospective students should review important information about NNU’s participation in the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and Professional Licensure about this program. Individual states often have different expectations for professional licensure, so it is in a prospective student’s best interest to investigate whether NNU’s degree program will help them achieve licensure in their home state.