Educational Leadership—Building Administrator
NNU's Master of Education degree in Educational Leadership: Building Administrator program is designed for those seeking formal educational leadership roles such as building-level principals, assistant principals, or instructional team leaders. This online program emphasizes the administrator as an instructional leader and a servant leader. Students are presented with skills appropriate to goal setting and maximizing human potential, the unique aspects of an organizational structure, and the management tasks of an administrator.
Completion of this program qualifies the graduate for recommendation to the State of Idaho for a Pre K-12 Principal endorsement on an Idaho Administrator Certificate. Individuals should check for specific requirements for certification in other states.
Designed to fit the schedule of a working professional, NNU’s M.Ed. in Educational Leadership allows the educator to complete a master’s degree while teaching full time. The online program utilizes set courses which allow students to plan their schedules ahead of time. Degree completion takes approximately 21 months, including the nine-month internship.
A significant expectation is that each student will identify a specific topic or problem of interest and will work on a project related to such topic. Each student will also complete a nine-month (2 semester) administrative internship in a school setting under the supervision of a qualified building principal. The internship assignment may be completed primarily in the building in which the student is teaching and must be approved by the school district and the NNU program director.
Accessible professors and staff allow for support in each course. Your professors at NNU are educational leaders themselves and provide you with the knowledge you need to succeed as a building administrator.
The following requirements must be received by Admissions a minimum of one week before classes start and are online, mailed, or emailed as indicated. Recommendation forms and essay guidelines are available online within the application portal.
Northwest Nazarene University
Attention Graduate Admissions
623 University Boulevard
Nampa, ID 83686
- Online: Application and $50 non-refundable application fee.
- Mail, or email from a digital service such as Parchment or the National Student Clearinghouse: Official transcripts from a regionally accredited institution(s) where the applicant received a bachelor's degree.
- Email or mail: A copy of the applicant's teaching certificate.
- Online: Two online recommendation forms completed by professional colleagues.
- Online: One Educational Leadership Evaluation form from the applicant's current building administrator.
The two recommendations and one leadership evaluation must be completed by three different individuals.
- Online: Evidence of writing competency, preferably from a research paper or other document completed during master's courses.
Candidates must have the following:
- A baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 in the baccalaureate program.
- Certification/Licensure as a classroom teacher, school counselor, or school psychologist based on a recommendation from a state-approved higher education preparation program.
- Four (4) years of full-time certificated/licensed experience working with students while under contract in an accredited school setting before M.Ed. degree completion.
- Approval by the Graduate Education Admissions Committee.
Program Start Dates
Classes begin every 8 weeks, and new students may join throughout the year.
EDUC8000 Orientation: Graduate Education (0)
EDUC7511 The Learning Process (3)
EDUC7553 Curriculum, Assessment and Collaboration (3)
EDUC7554 Innovative Instruction (3)
EDUC7555 Mixed Methods Research (3)
EDUC7556 Conceptual Statistics and Applications for Educators (3)
EDUC7566 Educational Values (1)
EDUC7575 Legal and Financial Issues in Education (3)
EDUC7579 Special Education Law for Administrators (2)
EDUC7581 Instructional Supervision and Leadership (3)
EDUC7584 Data Driven Decision Making (3)
EDUC7585 Administering Human Resources (3)
EDUC7596III Internship/Principalship (6)
EDUC7596IIIB Building Administrator Internship Portfolio Binder (0-1)
Total Credits: 36 semester credits required.