Veterans - New and Prospective Students

Veterans - New and Prospective Students

Spacer component

New and Prospective Students

Welcome to Northwest Nazarene University! Whether you are attending college for the first time or you are considering applying as a transfer student, our office will aid you in navigating the application process. The steps you need to take can be broken down into three categories: applying to the university, applying for financial aid, and applying for your Federal Education benefit.
- Apply to the University
- Apply for Financial Aid
- Apply for Your Federal Education Benefit

1. Determine the appropriate VA Benefit
2. Apply for the appropriate VA Benefit
3. Submit VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and other documentation to NNU Veterans Services
4. Apply again each year
new veteran student at NNU

Top Title
Apply for Federal

Bottom Title
Education Benefit

Northwest Nazarene University Veterans Services will guide you through the appropriate questions to assist you in determining which benefits to utilize towards your degree program.
Applying for Federal Education Benefit is a three step process:

Step 1: Determine the appropriate VA Benefit

Northwest Nazarene University Veterans Services will guide you through the appropriate questions to assist you in determining which of the following benefits to utilize towards your degree program:


Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)

The Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (Chapter 30) Veterans Education Benefit may be used for degree and certificate programs, flight training, apprenticeship/on-the-job training and correspondence courses.


Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation (VOC Rehab) The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)

VetSuccess Program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.


Chapter 32 - Veteran Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

The Post-Vietnam Veterans' Educational Assistance Program, or VEAP (chapter 32 of title 38, U. S. Code) provides education and training opportunities to eligible persons who contributed to the program while on active duty on a $2 for $1 contribution match by the Government.


Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® & Yellow Ribbon

The Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® provides financial support for education and housing to individuals including graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, and licensing and national testing programs.


Chapter 35 - Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA)

The DEA program provides up to 45 months of education benefits and training opportunities to eligible dependents and survivors of certain veterans.


Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB)

Chapter The Montgomery GI Bill®-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606) is an educational program for members who are actively participating in the Selected Reserve components of the Army Reserve, Naval Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard.


Chapter 1607 - Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

REAP (Chapter 1607 of title 10, U.S. Code) is a benefit providing educational assistance to members of the reserve components - Selected Reserve and Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) - who are called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency, as declared by the President or Congress.


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Step 2: Apply for the appropriate VA Benefit

Northwest Nazarene University will also assist you in completing all of the necessary VA Forms by walking you through the application process to initiate your VA Benefits at Northwest Nazarene University.


If you do not have a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Regional VA Office for Northwest Nazarene University, please complete the appropriate VONAPP application to apply / update for your benefits.

Step 3: Submit VA Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and other documentation to NNU Veterans Services

Submit the following documents to the Northwest Nazarene University Veterans Services Office:


Certificate of Eligibility (COE) specifically stating Northwest Nazarene University OR a copy of your electronically submitted VONAPP or paper VA applications.


DD214 - To obtain a copy of a missing DD Form 214 (Report of Separation) send a request to Veterans Services Records. All Paperwork should be submitted via email to your assigned Finance Counselor or NNU Veterans Services Advisor.


Students should contact the Regional VA Office at 1-888-GI-Bill1 for additional questions on Educational Benefits or specific payment amounts

Spacer component

Military Schooling Credit

Credit for military schooling is evaluated upon receipt of Form DD 214, Service Separation Certificate or the Sailor/Marine American Council on Edwardian Registry Transcript (SMART). We implement the ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations for transfer and awarding of credit for military training and experience.
If you would like more information or require additional assistance, please contact us at or (208) 467-8519.

Military Transfer Credit Procedure

Northwest Nazarene University may grant credit for military course completion after review of each applicant's military service experience. The American Council on Education's (ACE) "Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services" will be used to evaluate military experience. Military credits are awarded on a "pass" (no letter grade) basis. Northwest Nazarene University does not limit the number of credits which can be obtained through military service experience, as long as they are all degree applicable.

Joint Services Transcript (JST)

JST is the Joint Services Transcript that replaces the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army ACE Registry Transcript (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member's military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations. To access or request a copy of your Joint Service Transcript, please visit
Send a copy of your JST to for evaluation. Please contact 208-467-8508 for any questions.
Spacer component
Student at Veteran's Day celebration at NNU

Apply for the VA Work Study Program

Documentation required for the Student Work-Study Program: Complete and submit the following forms to NNU Veterans Services not the VA. Items may be submitted by fax, email or in person at our office in the Student Center.
Processing can take weeks to months, depending on when you submit your application and if you've been approved to receive benefits. Before your application can be sent to the VA you must be certified first by the Director of Veteran Services at Northwest Nazarene University. Please ensure you register for classes and submit your application as soon as possible in order to be eligible.
Please note: This application form must be submitted each semester in order to be considered for the work/study position.
Spacer component

Program Overview

The VA work-study program permits eligible students to perform services for VA in return for a monetary allowance equal to the prevailing Federal or State minimum wage, whichever is higher. VA work-study payments are non-taxable.


Eligible students may contract for a maximum of 1300 hours of service in any 12 month period. The maximum number of hours a student may work will be based on 25 times the number of weeks in the student's enrollment period; e.g., 250 hours for a 10 week term; 300 hours for a 12 week term.


Work-study services may be performed at VA regional offices, educational institutions, VA medical facilities, VA national cemeteries, certain other organizations approved for outreach activities.


For Chapter 1606 trainees only, services may be performed at DOD, National Guard and Coast Guard facilities, and their work-study services must be related to the administration of the Chapter 1606 program.

Possible Services

Work-study services at educational institutions may include, but are not limited to, the following: Processing enrollment documents (NOTE: Work-study students may not sign an Enrollment Certification.) Assisting institutional officials in maintaining veterans' records Providing supportive assistance to the campus office of Veterans' Affairs Providing outreach services Veteran students who are assigned by the institution to perform outreach activities must be working under the supervision of a VA employee. Such supervision may be accomplished by a combination of personal and telephone contacts.


If the institution wishes to establish a VA outreach activity, the Veterans Services Officer at the regional office should be contacted prior to development of plans for an outreach program.

Rate of Payment

In return for the student's agreement to perform services for VA totaling, for example, 250 hours during an enrollment period, VA will pay an allowance in an amount equal to the prevailing Federal or State minimum wage, whichever is higher, times 250. VA will pay proportionately less to students who agree to perform a lesser number of hours of services.

Advance payment will be limited to the amount that would be paid for the first 50 hours of each work-study contract, or 40% of the amount of the total contract, whichever is the lesser. Thereafter, payments are made in arrears for each increment of 50 hours of service performed.


In the event the student ceases to be at least a three-quarter time student before completing an agreement, the student, with the approval of the VA regional office, may be permitted to complete the portions of an agreement in the same or immediately following term in which the student ceases to be a three-quarter-time student.


If the student terminates all training before completing an agreement, VA may permit him or her to complete the portion of the agreement represented by the money VA has advanced to the student for which he or she has performed no services, but will not permit him or her to complete that portion of an agreement for which no advance payment has been made.


The student must complete the portion of an agreement in the same or immediately following term in which he or she terminates training. If the veteran has received an advance for hours of unperformed service, and VA has evidence that he or she does not intend to perform that service, the advance will be a debt due the government, and will be subject to recovery the same as any other debt due the United States. The amount of indebtedness or each hour of unperformed service will equal the hourly wage that formed the basis of the contract.

Benefit Guidelines

You will earn an hourly wage equal to the Federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. If you're in a work-study job at a college or university, your school may pay you the difference between the amount VA pays and the amount the school normally pays other work-study students doing the same job as you.


You may elect to be paid in advance for 40 percent of the number of hours in your work-study agreement, or for 50 hours, whichever is less. After you've completed the hours covered by your first payment, VA will pay you each time you complete 50 hours of service.


You may work during or between periods of enrollment. You can arrange with VA to work any number of hours you want during your enrollment. But, the total number of hours you work can't be more than 25 times the number of weeks in your enrollment period.

Spacer component

Top Title
Military Tuition

Bottom Title

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Congress has given each service the ability to pay up to 100% for the tuition expenses of its members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process' and restrictions.
Payment is usually made directly to the institution by the individual services. Additionally, active duty members may elect to use the MGIB "top-up" in addition to their service provided TA to cover high cost courses. Please contact the Educational Services Offer or Counselor at your command before enrolling at NNU.
Spacer component

Top Title

Bottom Title

Spacer component

NNU Transfer Scholarships

Prior to being awarded scholarships from NNU, you must apply and be accepted for admission to the University. If you have not applied to NNU, we encourage you to apply online. Your application for admission is your application for scholarships at NNU.
National Scholarships for Veterans
In addition to the GI Bill® (GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at, and the Post 9/11 GI Bill®, there are a wide variety of available scholarships designed to encourage and support veterans in their quest for a college education. These scholarships are supported by both public and private funds, and are offered to eligible veterans who have been honorably discharged from military service. Requirements and award amounts will vary according to the program.
The AMVET National Scholarship Program is designed for those veterans who have exhausted the resources of the GI Bill®. Applicants must have been honorably discharged, and must be attending an accredited college, university or technical school. The award is $1000 per academic year, renewable for up to three years.
The Military Order of the Purple Heart Scholarship is available to all veterans who have been awarded the Purple Heart. The program is also open to widows and dependents of those service-members who have been awarded the Purple Heart posthumously. Award amounts vary, and are based on financial need.
The American Legion Scholarship is available to all veteran members of the legion who are pursuing their undergraduate studies at an accredited college or university. Annual awards are $1000, and eligibility is determined by financial need.
The Pat Tillman Foundation offers the Leadership Through Action – Tilman Military Scholars program which provides financial assistance to veterans and active-duty military who wish to start, continue, or finish their college education.
Award amounts vary, and eligibility is determined by merit as well as financial need. Applicants are required to maintain a 3.0 GPA, and must submit two essays for consideration.
The Troops to Teachers Program is administered by the U. S. Department of Defense, and provides financial support for veterans who choose to pursue a degree in teaching or education. Eligible applicants must agree to a term of service in a high need school or community in order to receive funding. Eligibility is determined by financial need, as well as academic merit.
Veteran student at NNU's Veteran's Day celebration
Spacer component