Approximately one third of all FAFSAs are selected by the U.S. Department of Education (ED) for “Verification.” Verification is ED’s way of ensuring that everyone is being honest with the figures they are reporting on the FAFSA. If your FAFSA information was chosen for verification you will be notified by the NNU Office of Financial Aid via email. If you would like further information about Verification, please read NNU’s Verification Policy.
Verifying your FAFSA information may seem daunting, but by following these steps and staying organized, you can ensure a smooth financial aid journey. Your future awaits!
Why is your file being verified?
There are several possibilities for being selected for FAFSA verification. Keep in mind that more possibilities exist, but the following are the main reasons for being selected:
- You were selected randomly.
- The submitted FAFSA application has incomplete data.
- The data on the FAFSA application appears to contradict itself.
- The FAFSA application has estimated information on it.
What do you need to do now?
First, please review your Required Financial Aid Documents online
- For students starting at NNU in Fall 2023 use the NNU Mobile site to go to your Admission Profile. Scroll down to Financial Aid Documents and click Start.
- For students already attending NNU, go to the NNU Portal. Click on Financial Aid and Student Accounts, then look under Required Documents for items that you need to provide our office.
Some of the required documents include:
Verification Worksheet: A completed and signed 2023-2024 Verification Worksheet. Complete all sections, check all boxes that apply, and provide the requested documents and signatures for you and your parent(s) or spouse (if applicable). Verification forms can be found here: Verification Forms. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you are unsure of which form needs to be completed.
2021 Federal Tax Information: The parent and/or student will preferably use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) within the FAFSA to pull tax information into the FAFSA. Alternatively, a 2021 IRS Tax Return Transcript from the IRS can be ordered at irs.gov/transcript OR a signed copy of your 2021 Form 1040 can be provided to the Financial Aid Office.
We are here to make this process as easy as possible for you. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.