NNU Logo

Transfer Students

FAQs For Transfers

Questions about Transferring?

We’ve got the answers!

Check out these FAQs to navigate the transfer process with ease.

Health Communication

Transfer Credits & Registering

How can I determine what credits will transfer?
Check out our Transfer Equivalency System as a preliminary step to having your transcript evaluated by the Office of the Registrar. Then, once you are ready, they will evaluate your transcripts to determine what college level courses will apply toward a bachelor’s degree. A summary of transfer credits accepted, a major degree audit and a classification can be determined if you submit your transcripts early. While unofficial evaluations may be completed on unofficial transcripts, official copies are required for a degree audit to be developed. Technical, vocational and remedial classes will not count as transfer credits. NNU does not accept grades below a C- (1.75) for transfer credits. If you have course work from a college outside of the U.S., additional information may be required (see Transcript Evaluation for more details).
Will I lose credit if I transfer to NNU from a quarter system?

If a student is transferring from a quarter system to NNU, their transferable credits are simply calculated into the semester system. Quarter credits are divided by 1.5 to calculate semester credits.

Will NNU accept college level examination program (CLEP) credit and/or Advanced Placement (AP) credits?
If you earned an accepted score, you will receive units of credit for CLEP tests. This also includes credits received from AP tests. These may not be included in the residency requirement for graduation. A maximum of 25 percent of total credits required for a degree (31 credits) may be earned for non-classroom experience. All scores must be sent to the University from the testing center.
What is the maximum number of credits I can transfer?

A maximum of 62 semester credits or one-half the total required for graduation may be transferred from a two-year school. See NNU’s Undergraduate Catalog for additional information about Two-Year Transfer Degrees. NNU accepts an unlimited number of transfer credits from accredited four-year institutions. In order to graduate from NNU, a minimum of 24 credits must be earned from this institution, including at least 8 upper-division credits in the major. For students transferring in from another institution seeking a second bachelor’s degree, a minimum of 32 credits must be earned at NNU, including at least 10 upper-division credits in the major.

How and when do I register for classes?

As a service to new incoming students, NNU will work on your first semester’s course schedule for you.  A major advisor will design a schedule for you based on your transfer work and you will be sent a copy of the schedule for your input and approval.  Once you give your approval, NNU will then register you for those classes.

For students transferring for a fall semester, work will begin on your schedule in May or June.

For students transferring for a spring semester, work will begin on your schedule in November (it is important for this semester to get your materials and tuition deposit submitted as early as possible, as the timing of NNU’s Christmas break greatly inhibits your ability to have a schedule if it is not completed prior to that).

During orientation, you will be required to meet with your major advisor to verify your schedule. You will then have the opportunity to make any other schedule adjustments if you haven’t before.

Campus Life & Housing

Can I live off campus?
All unmarried students without children who are less than 22 years of age are required to live in a residence hall. Residence halls are divided into upper and lower division categories.
Does NNU have married/non-traditional student housing?

Apartments and rentals are available for married and/or non-traditional students. Call the NNU properties and rentals manager at 208.467.8633 for more information.

Are transfer students required to attend University chapels?

Yes, all full-time and some part-time transfer students are required to attend chapel. No classes conflict with chapel. Students with children or jobs may qualify for chapel requirement reductions. See the NNU Student Handbook for more information on the related NNU policies.  Also, be sure to visit NNU Spiritual Life page to learn more about spiritual life at NNU.


If I play varsity sports, what information do I need to know when transferring to NNU?

NNU competes at the NCAA Division II conference level and does offer athletic scholarships. Varsity sports teams include women’s soccer, volleyball, track and field, cross country, softball and basketball; men’s soccer, golf, track and field, cross country, baseball and basketball. For more information on recruitment, NCAA compliance and walk-on opportunities, contact individual coaches or call the NCAA Division II Compliance Coordinator, at 208.467.8352. You should also fill out a Prospective Nighthawk form by going to nnusports.com, selecting your desired sport and completing the form of the same name in the upper right-hand corner. As always, an admissions counselor is available to help at admissions@nnu.edu.

Financial Aid

Do transfer students qualify for financial aid at NNU?
Yes, NNU has many types of financial aid available for qualifying, full-time transfer students including federal loans and grants, university grants, and scholarships. Transfer students may qualify for both need and merit based aid.
How do I apply for financial aid at NNU?

Submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and NNU’s Application for Admission is required before a financial aid package can be determined. Academic scholarships are based upon cumulative transfer GPA. See NNU Financial Aid for more information.

What is the total cost of attending NNU?

Learn more about the cost of attendance at NNU.

Alternative Degree Programs

Does NNU offer special programs for non-traditional, adult and/or working students?

Yes, NNU offers several online and/or evening programs for adult students. These programs have separate application processes and pricing scales from the traditional undergraduate programs. Please see the online overview or call 1.877.NNU.4YOU and ask about our non-traditional programs.